Using Wordle for Exploring

Recently, I was introduced to the online program Wordle. Wordle generates “word clouds” from text that you provide. The “word clouds” give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes. The images you create with Wordle are yours to use however you like. You can print them out, or save them to the Wordle gallery.

After taking some time to consider what text to add, I realized that this could be used to help students explore majors. I added the text from my previous blog “Summer Exploring” and the Wordle below does a great job of providing a unique, visual representation of my words.

Click on the image to view a larger version.

Wordle: Summer Exploring

My assignment for you is simple. Write a short essay about yourself: your likes, dislikes, and significant experiences that have helped shape the person that you are. Then, submit the text to Wordle and create your own “word cloud.” You may see some strengths that you might not have noticed before.

I’d love to see what you come up with, so please share your Wordles in the comments section below.

And, as always, if you want to talk to an advisor about exploring majors, please feel free to email us at exploringmajors@uta.edu.

• Both comments and trackbacks are currenlty open for this entry.
  • Trackback URI: http://blog.uta.edu/majorexploration/2013/07/12/using-wordle-for-exploring/trackback/
  • Comments RSS 2.0