Would you want to take a class taught by a celeb?  OK – what if the celeb had no experience in academia, teaching, or higher education?  Hmmm, still yes?  OK…What if your school was paying the celeb $200,000 annually to teach ONE class. I hope the reviews are at least mixed!

The Chronicle – August 2013 has brought to my attention that David H. Petraeus is teaching a class at CUNY for ONE DOLLAR! First – because I definitely want to take class taught by a previous C.I.A. Director.  Second – said previous C.I.A. officer agreed to teach it for $1.  Third – well, now there is no third because his $200,000 annual salary has vanished.

Zweifler writes in his Chronicle article, “When word of his salary got out, it sparked outrage. CUNY professors said that Mr. Petraeus would be making far more than any of them [$200,000 annually for teaching one three-hour class]; his salary was an insult, they said, to the part-time faculty whose wages are barely sustainable.” Agreed.  However, I am not the best person to examine the ethics behind hiring celebrity adjuncts.  According to my Pinterest page, I would probably register to take a class taught by Grumpy Cat.

Zweifler writes, “Celebrity adjuncts can bring much to the table. Students can learn from the real-life experiences of top practitioners in their fields…[but it] can also be divisive.” One such “practitioner” is James Franco (who spoke at UT Arlington 2012 graduation- FYI), who worked as an adjunct at New York University and University of Southern California.  For film student, this must have been a dream.  For other professors – I bet it was really, really annoying.

Among the celeb adjuncts listed, most of them are not only famous, but notorious:

-Petraeus: involved with the biographer.

-Schwarzenegger: involved with the nanny.

-Spitzer: involved with prostitutes.

-McGreevey: involved with a male while being married, on the DL.

I see a pattern here.  What exactly are these adjuncts teaching?  However, as wrong as this seems to me on paper, I would register for a class taught by any of these guys – and probably one taught by Tiger Woods too… you know, just for kicks.

As always, please let me know your thoughts Mav Grads.  Maybe we can get a good celeb to teach at UTA – like Willie Nelson for students majoring in music… oops, I mean accounting.