Pitfalls to avoid while automating with PTF
What are the Technical issues frequently faced during the automation ?
Security Issue and its Solution?
Issue Test automation team needs the same security access as the functional leads and to get this, the approval of the leads and the security analysts is necessary. There is a profile and set of roles assigned to the login for each team We work with. Getting everybody on the page regarding Security is very important as demonstrated by the following diagram.
Database Refresh Issue and its Solution?
issue Whenever there is a refresh you could end up losing the security as well as all the Tests and Test cases since everything is in the database.
Solution Export all the PTF and Security tables before a refresh as shown below. There are about 30 PeopleSoft Test Framework tables. Can get the list from Oracle. A process has to be set up for the import and export of these tables. Need to collobarate with the DBAs to get this set up.
The important information to be communicated is shown in the diagram below.
Need to get information about timings of refreshes, Cold backups and integration broker changes, since any of this will cause login issues in PeopleSoft Test Framework.
Since we cannot login to the test framework at the time the DBAs are doing refreshes or cold backups, it is good to communicate with the DBA team whenever there is a demo or implementation so they do not schedule any DB changes at that time.
Having trouble getting approval from customers, these tips may help.
- Make sure everything is in place before demos or Implementations to clients
- Always run all tests again before showing them to a client, anything could break a test easily.
- Check with, the Database Administrators if they are not doing database changes that affect PSTF.
- Make sure to have nice presentations before the actual test so the customer has more information and is more happy with the automation
- Always make sure your security access works fine.