has passed … that is an academic summer.
Spring Semester had not even ended when the accident occurred. That Friday had been the end of a frustrating week but I was surprisingly energetic in spite of that. Gardening is one of my relaxation and exercise techniques. God had a different plan for me. Walking backward with the wheelbarrow my husband had bought for me, I backed into his garden tiller, because I forgot it was so close behind me. Realizing that falling backward onto tiller prongs would be more catastrophic, I believe God allowed me to fall sideways and onto my left wrist (I’m right-handed). The pain I felt was excruciating to say the least. My husband came quickly to my aid. Thinking I only had sprained it, we treated it at home. On Sunday, my Bible Study friends advised me that it was very swollen and it was purplish green and probably broken. I expected broken bones to be sticking out, since I’ve never broken bones before. So after Church, I went to the ER. After several xrays, ER doctor told me I had fractures. I left with a soft cast and splint and instructions to see an orthopedic surgeon ASAP. After more xrays and a CATscan, I had surgery on May 13 to be fitted with an external fixator and 5 pins inserted into my left wrist and forearm. I began medical leave from work on the afternoon of May 12, returning to work full-time on July 1. God was with me throughout this ordeal. Interesting conversations this contraption on my arm evoked.
I have been attempting to catch up since returning to work. Getting back to the title of my post and goals for the summer. Besides the organizational goals on my list, my summer plans included sorting a bushel basket of email. Keeping emails, to refer to them later, seems like a good idea. Needless to say, I have probably needed to refer to maybe 20 of the few hundred I have in my account. I decided to turn over a new leaf. I began raking out emails and sending them to the land of Deletoria.
Besides weeding email, another POA was to do some industrial strength housekeeping in my office. Since the summer of 2007, stored boxes of documents were neatly arranged in my office due to library renovation. I realized that I had not needed to refer to any of these documents in a year, so I began the task of weeding. I have made significant progress!