A Tip of my hat to RPG AS/400 computer specialist John Baskette

John and I have worked on my computer stored information projects for more than 10 years. When I graduated from college, the main computer on campus was an IBM System 360, occupying its own building. (When I went back to campus for the 25 year reunion, the building had been converted into office space for graduate students. The computer has probably been long dismantled for scrap. The
metal frame may be part of an artificial reef in an ocean, for all I know.) My current projects usually involve printed information that will never be scanned, or digitized, or ever be available in computer readable form. A computer readable database including the title, publication date, and storage location is necessary so that we can show that we have or once had the publication, and when it was removed from storage and removed from our custody. I learned about computing and information systems in the era of the IBM System 360, and added a little more learning with Wordperfect and Wordstar (1980s) and Microsoft Office in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s.
John calls me regularly to ask about new projects that he can do for me. He doesn’t “sit back and wait for his ship to come in”, he “paddles his canoe out to my ship” looking for work.
My local newspaper reported that there are 6 million people among the “officially unemployed” counted by the U.S. Department of Labor. New jobs are being created at the rate of 2 million jobs per year. 6 divided by 2 equals 3, as in “3 years”.
I tip my hat and salute John Baskette, who is not waiting for his ship to come in “sometime, but maybe never”, during the next 3 years.