Texas as an independent nation: what kind of government would it need?

I belong to a chapter of Toastmasters International. For my project 2, I am working on a speech about what kind of government Texas would need if it were to become an independent nation. The American Civil War of 1861-1865 settled the question as to whether states could deratify their accession to the Constitution of the United States and organize a new nation. {I am sure that MORE than a few readers will disagree with my statement that the issue has been settled for all time.}
There are countries that have separated out of the parent nation during the 20th and 21st century. Bangladesh was formerly known as East Pakistan, countries were separated out of the former Soviet Union in the early 1990s, the former nation of Yugoslavia was separated, the Czech Republic and Slovakia were the former country of Czechoslovakia, Austria-Hungary was split into Austria and Hungary after World War I, and there are other examples.
The life of a Texan in 2013 is a lot more complicated than the life of a Texan in 1836-1845. I think that some people believe that if Texas was an independent nation, the cost of government and governance would be simpler and cheaper per capita than the cost per capita of being citizens within a national government structure composed of 50 states, plus districts, commonwealths, and unincorporated territories. Texas in 1836-1845 did not have electricity, radio and television, the internet, social insurance for the disabled and the retired, airplanes, terrorist groups roaming the world trying to destroy people and nations they did not like, and many more facets of contemporary life.
I only have no more than 7 minutes, so I won’t have a “solution”. It’s just an attempt to call attention to some of the matters that would have to be resolved if Texas actually became an independent country, based on what has happened when other new nations were created.