Honors College Student Spotlight: Ashni Walia

By Madison Ray

Today’s #HCSS is on Ashni Walia, an Accounting and Mathematics sophomore from Ambala, India! She is an Honors student worker, Honors Advocate, president of the Association of Women in Mathematics, and chancellor of Delta Sigma Pi.

Ashni Walia stands outside College Hall.

MR: What has your experience been like majoring in Accounting and Mathematics?

AW: I’ve had a great experience so far. I like how the business degree is structured to give us a broader understanding of all the other majors as well. The education and networking opportunities offered by the College of Business have also helped me get internship offers. Moreover, the Mathematics Department has always made me feel like a valued part of the community apart from offering courses that are preparing me well enough for professional exams.

MR: What is your favorite thing about the Honors program and why?

AW: I literally work, play and sleep at Honors College. It has provided me with a community of high achieving students who push me to do better academically but at the same time are so fun to hang out with in the CAB. Moreover, I love how the Honors degree gives you a creative space to earn credits. I once wrote a research paper about Childish Gambino’s This is America for an honors contract and that has definitely been the highlight of my academic program so far.

MR: What would you like to achieve during the rest of your time as an undergraduate student?

AW: My main goals for the last two years of college are to be a summer intern in New York, be the President of the Honors College Council and to graduate Summa Cum Laude.

MR: What have you achieved so far that you’re most proud of?

AW: Moving to the United States by myself is something that I’m very proud of. I didn’t know anyone in the country two years ago so I feel really blessed to have such loving friends around me here now.